focus on: Arzergrande

Candiana

The Municipality of Candiana is in the south-east of the Province of Padua and is surrounded by the neighbouring municipalities of Bovolenta, Pontelongo, Correzzola, Agna, Arre and Terrassa Padovana.
The settlement of Candiana grew up around the Benedictine monastery of San Michele, which was founded in the late 11th century by Cono di Calaone next to a church that had been donated to the Abbey of San Pietro di Modena by Cono da Ganaceto in 1027. Although the monastery remained under the rule of the abbey for most of the 12th century this became a mere formality in 1187 when Gregory VIII placed it under the protection of the Apostolic See. In the 13th century, following a long dispute with the abbey, the monastery of San Michele became independent. In the 15th century the monastery was held in commendam, meaning that it was transferred in trust to the custody of a patron. On 25th October 1459 the Benedictine monastery was extinguished, enacting the papal bull issued by Pius II on 5th January 1458, and the last abbot in commendam Tommaso Gradenigo transferred the estate to the Augustine Canons Regular of San Salvador in Venice. Between the 15th and 16th centuries the Canons rebuilt the monastery, restoring it to its former glory. The church was consecrated on 29th September 1502 by bishop Pietro Barozzi. It was suppressed by the Republic of Venice with the decree of 31st July 1783 (Monasticon Italiae, IV Tre Venezie, Cesena 2001, p. 55). It then passed into the hands of the Albrizzi family who made the complex into their residence, turning part of it into a Venetian villa. The parish church was restored on numerous occasions during the last century.
One of the most important buildings in the area is the 16th-century Villa Garzoni in Pontecasale, built by Jacopo Sansovino for the country estate of a family of rich Venetian bankers. Other Venetian villas in the area include the lovely Villa Renier.
AREA (sq.km) 22,27
POPULATION * 2.455
DENSITY (inhabitants/sq.km) 110,25
OECD rural area (density < 150 inhabitants/sq.km) SI'
* Inhabitants as of 21/10/2001, date of the 14th Population and Housing Census, ISTAT (Italian National Institute of Statistics).

Sites worth seeing:
  • Duomo of San Michele Arcangelo (1502) and the former Benedictine convent (later transferred to the Augustine Canons Regular); fine wooden altar
  • Parish church with Romanesque campanile (16th century)
  • Villa Albrizzi
  • Villa Garzoni in Pontecasale (16th century) by Jacopo Sansovino
  • Villa Renier in Pontecasale (17th century)
  • La Loggetta in Pontecasale
  • Buildings by the architect Quirino De Giorgio in Candiana: Town Hall, Casa del Fascio (former Fascist headquarters), weaving and spinning workshop, the Fascist quarter in Via Borgo
www.comunedicandiana.com

Comments

Post new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.