Correzzola

The Municipality of Correzzola is in the south-east of the province of Padua, adjoining the Municipalities of Codevigo, Chioggia, Cona, Agna, Candiana and Pontelongo.
Famed for its impressive monastery complex, this area was reclaimed by the Benedictines and still bears the traces of that long productive period.
A document of 1129 testifies to the settlement of the Benedictine monks from the abbey of Santa Giustina in Padua. In it we read that Giuditta, widow of the Veronese count of San Bonifacio, and her second husband Guido de’ Crescenzi, sold property comprising the Corte di Concadalbero manor and land in Castel di Brenta, Desman, Correzzola and extending from Bovolenta to Fossa Bayba to Abbot Alberto of the monastery of Santa Giustina of Padua for the sum of 300 lire. Over the years the abbey of Santa Giustina continued to acquire land in the area. From the 15th century onwards, the area came to be settled and controlled on a large scale by the Benedictines, also in the wake of the land transfers, the hydrogeological disruption and the wars of the previous centuries. Thanks to its strategic position near the Bacchiglione river, a vital trade route between Padua and Venice, Correzzola was transformed into the nerve centre of a huge estate. A Corte, or Benedictine manor house, was built here to administer the outlying gastaldie: besides Correzzola, Concadalbero, Brenta and Civè, Cona and Villa del Bosco. The local produce was sent to the main manor house in each gastaldia which was in turn divided into plots with farmhouses named after saints. More than 90 farmhouses were built including San Luca, San Agostino, Sant’Anna, La Vanezza. On the main façade of each farmhouse was the coat of arms of the abbey of Santa Giustina together with the date of construction. The State Archive in Padua holds valuable antique maps and drawings documenting the management and division of the territory. Historians estimate that the reclamation process carried out by local farm workers using primitive equipment allowed the abbey to reclaim over 13,000 fields in the Paduan area.
The Benedictine presence was brought to an end with Napoleon’s suppression of the monasteries. Correzzola and its gastaldie were confiscated from the monks and transferred to the Lombard noble family of the Melzi d’Eril, which continued the reclamation work. Over the years pumping stations were built in strategic sites to maintain the hydrogeological balance of the area.
In 1919 Duchess Josephine decided to sell her Paduan estate to the local farmers.
AREA (sq.km) 42,33
POPULATION * 5.310
DENSITY (inhabitants/sq.km) 125,45
OECD rural area (density < 150 inhabitants/sq.km) SI'
* Inhabitants as of 21/10/2001, date of the 14th Population and Housing Census, ISTAT (Italian National Institute of Statistics).

Sites worth seeing:
  • Benedictine Corte di Correzzola (currently Town Hall – open to the public)
  • San Luca farm, called “La Vanezzetta”
  • La Vanezza (private property)
  • San Agostino farm (private property)
  • San Anna farm (private property)
  • Campanile and presbytery in Civè
  • San Silvestro pumping station in Civè
  • Ponte del Barbegara (bridge)
  • Ponte di Brenta d’Abbà (bridge)
www.comune.correzzola.pd.it

Comments

Post new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.